Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compression stocking - How to keep them up?

I had a second phlebitis with compression stockings. The first one, I had to wear knee high socks and I didn't tolerate thick socks (I'm a man). The pharmacist pointed me towards women knee high compression stockings that are much finer. 

For the second one, I ended up with thigh high stockings with the same material. As the pharmacist says: I'm the only one who will see the lace at the top. But the problem is that I must pull them back up 10 to 20 times during the day, and it's turning me crazy. I must constantly find a place where I'm alone to put them back into place. When they are new, they hold into place.

But after a few days, they stop. My wife got me a simple garter that goes unnoticed but it does make me self-conscious. What if something happen to me? The lace, ok, but the two together?

Does someone has the same problem? (I am speaking to the other men who have to wear compression stockings) or maybe another solution (the women can help me here). I clean the silicone border with alcohol but it doesn't change a thing. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Maybe they are not really your size and expand rapidly. I do not have this problem with the Sigvaris brand which I am told is the best. And when they start to fall, I too use alcohol.
  • Anyway, it is the enlargement that make them go down, but I find that alcohol do nothing. And it is precisely the same brand as you. It is driving me crazy. My phlebologist does not say I need to stop wearing them. 

I was told that shaving the hair on my legs could help (remember I am a man). What else??
  • Two things: do you wash them only at 30 ° C and no more? And, why not wear pantyhose? It will have the advantage of staying in place, not to mark at the thigh, not having to buy suspenders. In short, much more discreet on you. The only drawback is in summer, it is too hot. But that's something for the winter!
  • You must be especially careful not to have any cream on your legs or other products that make your stocking slip. Also sweat and fat on the skin can have the same effect, so take a shower in the morning and with your legs well dry wait 2 or 3 minutes to remove any moisture left and put your compression stocking without stretching them, upside down. And of course wash them every day with a special liquid soap design expecially for compression stockings. Sigvaris sell one that does not destroy the elastic fibers.

Good luck to us all!
  • Almost forgot, you also need to let your Sigvaris (or any compression stockings) dry flat on a screen made for that purpose (or if you don't have one you can simply use a towel)
  • Juzo also sells a garter belt specifically for compression stockings: Unisex Garter Belt 

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will help maintaining your stocking in place all day.
  • I'm ordering it (I too was getting annoyed of seeing them fall down after only a month or two). I'll keep you guys posted.
  • The Garter Belt does not work with the Sigvaris that I currently have. I'm going to have to try a different model for my next order.
  • edited April 2016
    It Stays Body Adhesive for Compression Stockings will be the quickest, easiest and cheapest solution in my opinion.
    You can find it on amazon: http://amzn.to/1nTJ5bO 

There is also the Compression Stockings Adjustable Garter Belt. It helps hold support stockings up all day long. http://amzn.to/1qXEVZ1 

I personally use the It Stays Body but I am a woman. I think you should give it a try. 

Finally there is also Mens Thigh High with Waist Attachment specially for Mens:

This is a good example here from Juzo: http://amzn.to/1qXEVZ1

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helps
    Daniela
  • I bought some class 2 Sigvaris stockings recently. Initially the left one slipped down during the day, every day. Then I made sure that each morning I was pushing the stockings up with the gloves on from the ankle to the calf. I did this several times which hopefully ensured that the compression was more correctly distributed throughout the leg. I have not had any problems since. You have probably already done this but I thought it may be worth mentioning anyway.
  • edited May 2016
    There is a product called "It Stays". It's a roll on application and will hold your stockings up. Most stocking distributors sell it. Also, I have found that using a little Aloe Vera gel helps hold my stockings up. It makes your legs a little bit sticky.