Understanding your Venous System

Arteries, capillaries and veins

In order to better understand what varicose veins are and how you can get rid of them, it is important that you understand how your venous and arterial blood system works. Understanding how your venous system works will help you get rid of varicose veins in a much faster, safer and easier way.

Your blood system is made of three main types of blood vessels :

The Three Types of Blood Vessels in Your Body

  • The Arteries
  • The Capillaries
  • The Veins

 The following video explains the difference between those three types of blood vessels in your body.

The FIRST thing your physician should check when examining your varicose veins is any sign of cardiovascular diseases. If varicose veins are removed without treating the underlying cause, you could end up in a much worse condition.

Your veins may enlarged and become varicose veins because, contrary to your arteries, veins have to fight against gravity to bring the blood back to your heart. Veins also have less muscle tissue than arteries. You didn’t know your veins had muscle? One way to contract the muscle tissue of your veins is by taking a cold shower or bath.

The Deep and Superficial Veins of Your Leg

There are actually three different kinds of veins in your legs. The first are superficial and lie closest to the top of the skin. There are deep set veins which lie within the groups of muscles, and there are perforating veins which connect the superficial veins to the deep veins.

The deepest veins of your legs lead to the vena cava, which is the body’s largest vein and runs directly back to the heart. The deep veins are usually able to withstand very short periods of increased pressure. And that is good news considering that the deep venous system of the legs carries more than 90% of the blood back up the legs toward the heart. The remaining 10% is carried by the superficial veins where varicose veins occur.

What is the Difference Between Spider Veins and Varicose Veins?

Spider veins (sometime called varicosities) are not varicose veins, even though they are often consider a milder case of varicose veins. They are dilated veins not bigger than 1mm. They are not, by themselves, a serious medical problem. They can be however an early sign of chronic venous disease (a fancy word meaning “a disease of the veins that will need your attention”). This is true even though most health insurances don’t cover spider veins. Their importance therefore should not be underestimated. They could be a sign of deep venous insufficiency.

Spider veins on your ankle may be an early sign of deep venous insufficiency.

If you have spider veins on your ankles, you should consult your doctor as soon as possible and demand a Duplex ultrasound. If he doesn’t and only treat your superficial veins, it could lead to a worsening of your condition.

 

Now that you understand your venous system, click the link below to find out how to use that knowledge to get rid of varicose veins naturally by learning the causes:

What Causes Varicose Veins? Learn How You Can Avoid the Risks

Stay Connected

Join us to help spread the word about the #1 varicose veins support group:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply